Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sick Like No Tomorrow

I have been ill for close to a week now, today would be day 6.  But that's not the reason why I haven't been updating this blog.  My schedule and activities really took off and I'm trying my best to juggle my life, especially since I've been sick.  I'm usually a healthy person, leading a healthy lifestyle but lacking the 30 minutes to an hour exercise a day.  Whenever I get sick, I gargle saltwater frequently and chug orange juice.  Normally I bounce back within a few days, but this time, the first time I've been sick in college, it's really hit me hard.  Before I could take a step back from everything and just focus on recovering, but in college everything goes on with or without you and you need to keep up just to prevent yourself from falling behind.


So now I'm lying in my dorm bed sipping on some tea (which surprisingly does help with the illness) and doing some work to stay caught up with my classes.  I decided not to go to my GE classes but I know I will need to attend my chemistry class because competition in intense in that class and it's really hard to make up for not being in lecture.  On the positive side, I aced my online chemistry quiz yesterday while having coughing fits and not really understand the material from lectures.  I thought I had did fairly decently on the quiz before submitting, but even I was surprised when the system reported that I had scored 100%.  Here's to magically knowing all the right answers.


Still, I wish I could get rid of this illness, even if it's an excuse to be comfortable all the time and carry around a tissue box.  People give me odd looks when I have my tissue box in my arm, but they ask for me for a tissue when they need to sneeze.  Maybe I should do everyone a favor and wear a hospital style face mask to class.  But ironically, there's a double standard for wearing a face mask in public: if you do wear it, you can still interact other people but you're protecting them by not infecting them, but once other people see you with the mask they will try to ostracize you to prevent themselves from getting sick.  If you don't wear it and cough or sneeze, people think you're not being courteous and shielding yourself away from other people.


Midterms next week.  This fun is never done.

No comments:

Post a Comment